1. What is the $100 volunteer deposit?
We are able to maintain affordable registration fees due to our Parent Volunteers. All families are encouraged to volunteer and are required to provide a $100 deposit (one deposit per family) in advance, payable with registration fees.
There are many opportunities to volunteer and get this deposit back, although some may not be with the soccer program as there are so many soccer parents and not enough positions. There are however many other opportunities that you can easily find on the NHCA Eventbrite page.
Please note that when you sign up for NHCA Outdoor soccer, you agree to the following:
- The volunteer deposit will be returned only if the volunteer commitment of a minimum of 5 hours has been fulfilled. Refunds will be made twice (2X) a year, after the end of July and in December.
- We encourage every family to volunteer but there is an option if you just don’t think you will be able to. Select “I do not wish to volunteer”, but when volunteers cannot be found, emails will be sent to all families.
- Please note that choosing “As Required” and/or “Office Help” as a volunteer role means that you may be contacted to volunteer for ANY NHCA event or program outside of the soccer program.
- If you wish to volunteer for a particular program or event, please check the NHCA Eventbrite page.
- As a volunteer, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you complete the Volunteer Sign-In Forms at your volunteer task. This is mandatory to ensure your hours are tracked and your deposit can be refunded efficiently.
If you have volunteered during the soccer season, but have not been refunded by the beginning of August, or volunteered in the fall, but were not refunded by the beginning of December, PLEASE firstname.lastname@example.org or the NHCA office. Please do not leave it until the end of December or the following year!
2. I am going to volunteer, so do I have to pay the $100 volunteer deposit?
Yes. You will be refunded once you have volunteered.
If you are a KidSport/Jumpstart family, or are having real difficulties affording the $100 deposit, please do register in-person and ask to talk to one of our staff.
3. I have more than one child that will be registered for soccer. Do I have to pay this deposit twice?
No. The deposit is charged only once per family.
4. I don’t want to volunteer for any of the named roles in the soccer program. Can I volunteer for something else?
We really encourage parents to volunteer for a named role in the program, as it is only through the commitment of our awesome Volunteer Parents that we can keep this program affordable for all.
However, we also appreciate volunteer help with our other programs, events, services (like the community rinks) occasionally in the office. and even on our volunteer board! If you would like to help with one of our other volunteer positions, please visit our NHCA Eventbrite page regularly and sign up for something that you can help with.
5. If a parent is a coach for one of his children’s teams (a large time commitment) does (s)he still have to make up volunteer time for the other child’s team to get the $100 deposit back for the other children?
No. The volunteer deposit is charged and refunded once per family only.
6. If I don’t get asked to volunteer will I still get my $100 back?
It is the responsibility of the registered parent/guardian to look for and sign up for volunteering tasks. ALL soccer parents/guardians are made aware of the opportunities to take part in the NHCA’s annual Community Clean Up event (generally June), or the Soccer Field Clean Up event (April).
Soccer volunteer requests are generally sent out by email or posted on the sports volunteering page; other volunteer tasks are advertised in the Northern Edge News, on the NHCA Eventbrite page, on this website’s volunteer page, or on our social media (Facebook page or Twitter).
7. I have volunteered. When do I get my refund?
Refunds will be made twice a year, after the end of July and in December.
8. Do I get a cheque or how do I get my refund?
If you registered online, then you will be refunded to the card you paid with automatically. The refund will be returned to the person whose name is listed on the card that was used to pay for the deposit during registration. If you change your credit card after registering, please do make the Soccer Coordinator or Office Administrator aware so that they can ensure you are refunded by cheque instead.
If you registered in person and paid by any other method, you will be refunded by cheque. Cheques will be sent to the person listed as the primary parent/guardian on the in-person form.
9. I volunteered, but haven’t had my refund yet. How do I get my refund?
As a volunteer, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you complete the Volunteer Sign-In Forms at your volunteer task. This is mandatory to ensure your hours are tracked and your deposit can be refunded efficiently.
If you stepped up to volunteer as a coach part way through the season, please do make our Soccer Coordinator aware before the end of the season, by email to: email@example.com
If you have volunteered during the soccer season, but have not been refunded by the beginning of August, or volunteered in the fall, but were not refunded by the beginning of December, PLEASE contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the NHCA office. Please do not leave it until the end of December or the following year!