General Kids Soccer Program FAQs (updated for 2017)
For questions about the NHCA Soccer program itself, please visit the NHCA Soccer (in Cooperation with SoccerTech) site. There is contact information available there if you still have questions after reading through the information provided.
1. WHAT DOES THE REGISTRATION FEE INCLUDE?
With the cost of registration, each player is entitled to:
- a soccer jersey (to keep)
- a player photo
- an invitation to the soccer windup party
- technical skill training, designed and supplied by SoccerTech
- All the goals, balls, whistles and additional coaching equipment needed to run this program will also be supplied by NHCA
2. WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR?
- Membership (if not already purchased) – it is only $30 for a whole year
- Volunteer Deposit (refundable, see below) $100
3. I CAN’T AFFORD TO REGISTER MY CHILD THIS YEAR – CAN YOU HELP?
We believe that every child should have access to soccer in our community. There are a couple of programs to help those in financial hardship:
- KidSport (please download and complete this part-filled form to bring with you when registering for KidSport Calgary).
If you should need any assistance filling in the forms, please contact the NHCA Office (click here for February opening times). If you are registering through these programs, please note the volunteer deposit can be paid by post-dated cheque, giving you time to volunteer first.
If you are rejected by the above programs, and still cannot afford to register, please come and talk to the staff in the NHCA Office.
4. I SAVED THE LINK IN MY BROWSER FROM LAST YEAR, BUT IT WON’T WORK?
We have changed our membership and registration system! Please use the link to registration provided on our new NHCA Soccer site. You will need to set up a new profile and add your children to it before registering; a handy guide is available to download there, or on our Membership page, should you need help to do this.
5. WHEN IS REGISTRATION?
Children’s Fitness Tax Credit FAQs
2016 TAX RECEIPTS
2016 Outdoor soccer tax receipts will be mailed out by February 28, 2017. If you have not received yours by March 15, 2017, please contact the NHCA office.
WHY DOES MY TAX RECEIPT NOT INCLUDE EVERYTHING?
Only the actual sports program fee is eligible for the tax credit. Your $30 membership fee and the $100 you paid as a volunteer deposit are not eligible.
WILL I GET A TAX RECEIPT FOR 2017?
The children’s fitness tax credit, including the supplement for children with disabilities, will be eliminated for 2017 and later tax years. For more information, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.
Kids’ Soccer Volunteer Deposit FAQs
1. WHAT IS THE $100 VOLUNTEER DEPOSIT?
We are able to maintain affordable registration fees mainly due to our Parent Volunteers. All families are encouraged to volunteer and are required to provide a $100 deposit (one deposit per family) in advance, payable with registration fees.
There are many opportunities to volunteer and get this deposit back, although some may not be with the soccer program as there are so many soccer parents and not enough positions. There are however many other opportunities that you can easily find on the NHCA Volunteer Opportunities page, or in the free, monthly Northern Edge News community newsletter.
When you sign up for NHCA Outdoor soccer, you agree that the volunteer deposit will be returned only if the volunteer commitment of a minimum of 5 hours has been fulfilled. Refunds will be made twice a year, after the end of July and in December.
We encourage every family to volunteer but there is an option if you just don’t think you will be able to. Select “I do not wish to volunteer”, but when volunteers cannot be found, emails will be sent to all families.
- Please note that choosing “As Required” as a volunteer role means that you may be contacted to volunteer for ANY NHCA event or program, even outside of the soccer program.
- As a volunteer, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you complete the Volunteer Sign-In Forms at your volunteer task. This is mandatory to ensure your hours are tracked and your deposit can be refunded efficiently.
2. I AM GOING TO VOLUNTEER, SO DO I STILL HAVE TO PAY?
Yes. You will be refunded once you have volunteered. If you are a KidSport/Jumpstart family, or are having real difficulties affording the $100 deposit, please do register in-person and ask to talk to one of our staff, as you can then pay by post-dated cheque.
3. I HAVE MORE THAN ONE CHILD REGISTERED – DO I HAVE TO PAY TWICE?
No. The deposit is charged only once per family.
4. I DON’T WANT TO VOLUNTEER IN THE SOCCER PROGRAM – CAN I VOLUNTEER FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
We really encourage parents to volunteer for a role in the program, as it is only through the commitment of our awesome Volunteer Parents that we can keep this program affordable for all. However, we also appreciate volunteer help with our other programs, events, services (like the community rinks), occasionally in the office, and even on our volunteer board! If you would like to help with one of our other volunteer positions, please sign up for something that you can help with.
Please remember it is YOUR responsibility to ensure you complete the Volunteer Sign-In Forms at your volunteer task. This is mandatory to ensure your hours are tracked and your deposit can be refunded efficiently.
5. IF I DON’T GET ASKED TO VOLUNTEER, WILL I STILL GET MY $100 BACK?
No. It is the responsibility of the registered parent/guardian to look for and sign up for volunteering tasks. ALL soccer parents/guardians are made aware of the opportunities to take part in the NHCA’s annual Community Clean Up events, which are open to all. Soccer volunteer requests are generally sent out by email; other volunteer tasks are advertised in the Northern Edge News, on the NHCA Eventbrite page, on this website’s volunteer page, or on our social media (Facebook page or Twitter).
6. I HAVE VOLUNTEERED. WHEN DO I GET MY REFUND?
Refunds will be made twice a year, after the end of July and in December.
If you have volunteered during the soccer season, but have not been refunded by the beginning of August, or volunteered in the fall, but were not refunded by the middle of December, PLEASE contact the NHCA office. Please do not leave it until the end of December or the following year, otherwise your deposit will be forfeited.
7. DO I GET A CHEQUE OR HOW DO I GET MY REFUND?
See our Purchase and Refund Policies page.
8. I VOLUNTEERED 2.5 OUT OF THE MINIMUM 5 HOURS. DO I GET HALF BACK?
No. The minimum required volunteer commitment is five hours.