Due to a report of a resident being a victim of a scam, the Ward 3 office and ENMAX would like to raise awareness to ensure consumers aren’t taken advantage of.
ENMAX will never ask for payment at your door. A customer was recently targeted at their home by a person pretending to be from ENMAX and threatening to disconnect power unless a cash payment was made. ENMAX are actively working with the police to investigate this scam. Please be aware that the only way they will ever request payment is through your invoice, mail or over the phone with their Customer Care Centre at 310-3010.
If you feel you’ve been misled, lodge a complaint with the Utilities Consumer Advocate at 310-4822, or the Calgary Police Service non-emergency line at 403-266-1234. If you have questions about any demand for payment, call ENMAX at 310-2010 so they can help in any way they can.
Regardless of who the person at your door says they represent, you have the right to ask to see the identification badge of anyone who comes to your door or on your property. Here are a few other tips:
- Confirm that the person’s name and/or company name on the badge matches all brochures, sales materials and contracts that they give you.
- The Utilities Consumer Advocate is a great resource for information, including door-to-door sales.
- Remember that everyone is protected by a 10-day cooling off period, which allows you to cancel your contract without penalty.
- If you are suspicious of anyone going door-to-door in your neighbourhood, please call the police immediately.
- To learn more call ENMAX at 310-2010 or read more information on their website.